Friday, March 6, 2015

Unabridged Version of Letter to Editor of Gettysburg Times 3/6/2015



Good Morning Mr. Hartman,

Below is the letter that we discussed by phone earlier this week. I met with Mr. Clark yesterday and he encouraged me to send the letter in, also. I have received several phone calls for and against the views. Your paper continues to publish letters fueled by the first one, under the assumption that I was somehow involved in the views presented (which you have never published a retraction or correction to your article after our conversation). I hope that I have addressed all concerns expressed by your readers and yourself clearly in the below article, and would appreciate your presenting it in its entirety, in hopes of clearing up this misunderstanding and moving forward with productive debate. I appreciate your service to our communities and look forward to working with you and all involved for the good of The People. DB



Elections have historically served two major purposes in our country: 1) To select our elected officials, and 2) To act as a forum for idea generation from the candidates and electorate. Elections should be a time of bringing The People together, not tearing them apart in order to advance an individual's campaign or other interests. It's not about the individual running for a position; it's about The People.

I will say this: The recent onslaught of negativity put forth in this publication is not conducive to the success of this process. I will concede that our citizens have the right to their individual opinions; this I would not deny anyone. However, I believe that each candidate involved in our county commissioner race has the best interests of The People of Adams County in the forefront of their activities, even if our ideas on how to accomplish them vary. While we should respect the opinions of one another as well as our constituency, it is not directly correlative to assume that the opinion of a supporter is exactly the same as that of the candidate, and we should proceed with caution when addressing such matters, so that, by drawing defense against the former, we do not falsely condemn the latter.

I have always been an advocate for our military personnel and veterans, coming from a family with many who have served. My grandfathers and brother served, several cousins currently hold leadership positions in the forces, and my son attends a JROTC Academy and has enlisted in the US Marines for his career after high school. I have a very personal interest in making sure our military personnel and veterans are treated with the services and respect they deserve. Meeting with our county VA Director for the first time on Tuesday, I had the opportunity to speak with him, browse his letters of recommendations and speak with him about his current projects. He accentuated his level of service to the community and our county. I understand how it feels when your record (or supposed lack thereof) is called into question, as mine was in this paper last week. Therefore, I would like to set that record straight.

My name is David W. Bolton. I currently serve on the McSherrystown Borough Council, chairing the Civil Service Commission. I am the Vice-President and Legislative Committee Chair of the Adams County Boroughs Association. I serve the county as a voting delegate to the Adams County Transportation Planning Organization, as the county representative to the Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs, serving on the Board of Directors, Resolution & Policy Committee and Nominating Committee, and have served on the Hanover Regional Economic Development Committee since its inception three years ago.

I have represented Adams County as an active voice in the affairs of state in Pennsylvania, penning and promoting the adoption of several resolutions, which have been individually adopted at the municipal level by Boroughs and Townships alike, that have made changes for the better for The People. These resolutions have resulted in an increase in the allowable pay-outs for local service clubs in the Small Games of Chance Bill, which has provided funds for an active K9 unit in the county, a new scoreboard for Delone Catholic, a speed sign for the McSherrystown Police, and much more. This keeps local money local and provides for our communities without pulling from state funds or raising taxes. I am steadfast in my pursuit to allow local and regional police the use of radar to protect those in areas where VASCAR and other systems fail. I will continue to help move forward the right to municipal voter referenda during primary and general elections. I represent Adams County as an active influence on the PSAB’s Municipal Policy, providing legislation and leadership for The People.

I am a true fiscal conservative. While drafting the 2013 McSherrystown budget, I developed a plan to stave off a proposed tax increase and sewer base rate increase (which I voted against) by increasing the sewer usage rates. This would have protected seniors and those on fixed incomes, and would promote responsible water conservation, while affording funds for the necessary infrastructure repairs to our system. The usage rate increase would expire in three years, after providing the funds needed, at the end of which the rates would have been lowered to their original levels. This past year, I voted in favor of reducing my own Council salary by 50%. As County Commissioner, one of my first actions would be to put a moratorium on an Ordinance passed Feb 6, 2013 by our current Board to increase the pay of the three Commissioners, saving the county over $18K in salaries on my first day in office.

My current efforts through the ACBA Legislative Committee to bring industrial hemp back to our county through a provision of the 2014 Federal Farm Bill will provide for economic growth, cleaner water and soil, more productive farmlands, and an increase in business and job opportunities for The People of our county. To date, 15 individual municipalities have followed the ACBA in adopting a resolution in favor of starting pilot studies to determine the feasibility of this industry in Pennsylvania, with several others considering it on upcoming agendas. Improving our lacking infrastructure will help us compete for and attract relevant manufacturing industries, so that we don’t lose opportunities like we did to Lancaster County last year when a French company, the Charles and Alice group, built a $10M applesauce facility, creating 50 jobs.

You can research more about my voting record and my level of service to The People of Adams County on my website,www.Bolton4Commish.com. Anyone can contact me directly at councilmanbolton@gmail.com, should questions concerning my service record arise.

I believe in the God-given rights protected by our Constitution. I believe in Property Rights and responsible Gun Ownership. I believe in reducing regulations that inhibit the success of our businesses. I believe in lowering taxes by creating an environment conducive to job creation. I believe in the future of Adams County, and I hope you will believe in my demonstrated abilities to serve The People, and consider me for your next Adams County Commissioner.

David W. Bolton


528 ½ Main Street


McSherrystown, PA 17344

No comments:

Post a Comment